Our Mental Health First Aid course is the ideal qualification for mental health champions in the workplace, or for those who want to offer initial mental health first aid at work.
With a responsibility to protect the health of employees at work, having mental health champions highlights the organisation’s commitment to promoting a positive mental health awareness.
The course covers a wide range of mental health conditions; some more common than others, how to identify potential mental health concerns in colleagues and then how to discuss their needs and assist them to access suitable services and support.
- Awareness of common mental health disorders
- What is stress and how does it differ from ‘pressure’
- How to recognise the causes and impact of stress and mental health conditions
- Understand how individuals may use harmful strategies to help them cope
- Know how to recognise serious mental health problems, including suicide
- Know the legal framework for mental health at work
- Be able to support an individual with a mental health issue
- Understand the importance of active listening
- Learn the basics of person-centred couselling, psychodynamic therapy and cognitive behavioural therapy
- How to construct and deliver a simple ‘active listening’ session
The course is delivered by a qualified and experienced mental health counsellor and psychologist. The course is interactive and will allow delegates an opportunity to use their skills in a safe learning environment.
The course is taught online using our training portal.
The course consists of two parts.
Delegates work through the online material, at their own pace, before progressing to part two of the course.
The online material is organised into six modules. At the end of Part One, delegates complete a short test to check their understanding.
After completing Part One, delegates take part in a practical session, which is delivered online using Microsoft Teams and lasts for one day. Delegates will have an opportunity to ask their tutor questions and they will have an opportunity to use their skills in a series of active listening exercises.
If you would like more information about our online Mental Health First Aid course for the workplace, please get in contact.